Monday, December 31, 2007

I wish!

I watched a lot of TV over the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve. A lot. Yesterday I even went so far as to watch about 10 hours of the Deadliest Catch marathon on Discovery. One thing about watching just one channel for so long is that you tend to see a lot of the same commercials throughout the day. Yesterday there was an ad for Publishers Clearing House where they claimed the sweepstakes were paying the winner $5,000 a week for life. Man, could I use that money. So of course I entered. Duh. I didn't buy anything, though. I'll tell you what I would buy, though: a house, a car for my husband, lipposuction (yes, I would), a treadmill, a massage and a facial. And last but not least, I'd put my stepson through college. No financial aid bullshit or loans. Straight up paid for so the kid wouldn't have to worry about anything. The rest of it would just rot away in a bank (FDIC insured, of course), gaining interest. At some point I would probably feel comfortable enough to donate regularly to a charity.

I'm a pretty pessimistic person, but every once in a while I allow myself a few "what if" wishes and dreams like this. I sometimes wish that Oprah would somehow discover me and help me lose weight, donating a trainer and personal chef. Or that Richard Simmons was giving away free spaces on his fattie cruise. Or that some producer from Extreme Makeover would somehow bump into me on the streets of New York. Or that I got on The Biggest Loser and lost a hundred pounds in 3 months.

There's always a slim chance, right?

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." Though, unlike John Lennon, I use those words for purely selfish reasons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dream about winning the lottery a lot. i believe in the power of positive thought and the law of attraction. i have seen it work. i don't know if it would work for something as painfully random as the lottery, but you never know, the fates could smile on us for a change. I desperately want a new house and a new car. i would work a lot less. i don't think i could bring myself to quit completely.

I've been told that a trick is to imagine yourself already having the thing that you desire. drive down the road like your just waiting for that big check to arrive, like you've already won it and lif3e is grand and perfect. its a fun exercise at least.