Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Staples, Deux

Wow! It's been a while since I've written! Anyway...

Around the holidays a co-worker (a skinny, superhealthy co-worker) brought in a salad that her husband had made for her. I tried it, loved it and thought I'd share the recipe. It contains kidney beans, which are super good for you (here's a spot to read up on their nutritional goodies: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=87 ).


Recipe for Corn-Bean Salad
  • 2 cans (11 oz. each) corn niblets, drained (use "no salt added")
  • 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beands, rinsed and drained (rinse them A LOT, until the red sludge disappears)
  • 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion (I used shallots, and put them through the food processor)
  • 2 cloves garlic (because I used shallots I cut this down to 1 clove and put it in the food processor with the shallots)
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro (I find cilantro a rather strong herb, so I put it in the food processor and probably only used a little over a teaspoon)
  • 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste (I used sea salt)
Mix everything together and chill for an hour -- delicious and nutritious!

No comments: