Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Curves

As you may already have read I am a member at Curves (thanks, Mom). I'd like to take this opportunity to discuss my experiences there. A bit of background information for those who may not know much about it: Curves is an all-women workout facility which offers strength / resistance training. Machines are set up in a circle and there are recovery stations in between each machine. You're on the machines/recovery stations for 30 seconds each, and you make approximately 2 - 3 rounds.

I always dread going to Curves, but I end up thanking myself that I made the significant effort it took to not continue driving in the direction of home. It only takes 30 minutes of your day. A drop in the bucket, right?

There are women of all sizes and ages at this place, which makes it a very comfortable environment for those of us who would rather not stand next to thong-clad chippies at Bally's. Sometimes, though, the last thing I want is to be around a bunch of Chatty Kathys and I have to really focus my eyes on the wall to send out the "back off -- I don't want to talk" vibe. Plus, when I talk I end up gasping for air. Best to focus on the task at hand.

I belonged to one Curves in my town and got used to it, liked the staff, the location, etc. Then their lease ended and they closed their branch. A lot of us transferred our memberships to another location...and I didn't go for six months (I don't like change, at least not this kind). Meanwhile, my new Curves moved to another brand new building. When I finally went I was really upset with myself that I had procrastinated for so long. I saw all the same people and even some of the same staff. This location is 100% better. They have their own bathrooms and have temperature control over said bathrooms. They have cubbies for your belongings. They put powders and body sprays on the counters for us to de-stinkify ourselves. And there are hula hoops in the center of the machines so you can work on your hip swiveling in public!

It really is a great thing, Curves, because even just going 3x a week for two weeks one can notice a difference in the way their clothes fit. You lose a lot of inches first, then the weight starts coming off (not quickly enough for my liking, though). More people are commenting on my weight loss, which leads me into this danger zone where I stop exercising and start eating absolute crap, which is what has happened over the last few weeks, so I've got to somehow train my brain that any time it hears something positive about the weight loss it should automatically say that I need another workout. Not the easiest thing to do, is it?

No comments: